Commencement is right around the corner! Be prepared with these ceremony tips to help you out.
Georgia Tech regalia is required to participate in Commencement. Students are required to be wearing regalia prior to entering the venue. Bachelor's students are permitted to wear stoles and cords to signify academic honors. Bachelor's and Master's students may decorate their mortarboard as long as it is not distracting to the ceremony or the students around them.
Note there will be different seals on regalia as we transition to the new Georgia Tech brand identity.
Not on campus?
Students can order online on the Barnes & Noble @ Georgia Tech website if they are not on campus.
Bachelor’s regalia is available for purchase in store or online at Barnes & Noble @ Georgia Tech.
Bachelor’s regalia costs $79.98 before tax and includes your customized Georgia Tech gown and cap. Students are required to wear Georgia Tech regalia that features the seal image. Plain black robes are not permitted. Caps and gowns can be purchased up until the week of Commencement.
Bachelor's regalia orders must be placed by Friday, Apr. 7. Late orders will incur a $20 late fee.
Master’s regalia is available for purchase in store or online at Barnes & Noble @ Georgia Tech. When you place your order, indicate the degree you are receiving, as that will determine your hood color.
Master’s regalia costs $119.98 before tax and includes your customized Georgia Tech gown, cap, and hood. Students will not be permitted to wear undergraduate gowns, as Master’s gowns have additional material at the base of the sleeve. Regalia can be purchased up until the week of Commencement.
Master's regalia orders must be placed by Friday, Apr. 7. Late orders will incur a $35 late fee.
Ph.D. regalia is available for purchase or rental online through on the Barnes & Noble @ Georgia Tech website.
Regalia is custom fitted for Ph.D. candidates, and graduates are encouraged to place their order early. Ph.D. candidates participating in Commencement will receive their hoods as a gift from the Institute.
Ph.D. candidates have two options:
- Ph.D. regalia is available for purchase at the cost of $996 before tax.
- Custom regalia orders must be made by Friday, Mar. 3, on the Barnes & Noble @ Georgia Tech website.
- Ph.D. regalia can be rented with a $79.98 fee with a $400 refundable deposit.
- All rentals must be returned by the date specified at checkout, or graduates will be charged an $830 replacement fee.
- Ph.D. rentals require the separate purchase of a Tam. The cost to purchase a Tam is $111 in addition to the rental fee.
- Doctoral students must rent their gown by Friday, Mar. 31.
- Late Ph.D. rentals will be subject to a $50 late fee.
Questions and Payment Options
If you have any questions about Ph.D. regalia orders or wish to discuss payment options, contact the Barnes and Noble at Georgia Tech at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regalia assistance is available to graduates who need it. The regalia assistance request process is different for undergraduate and graduate students.
Undergraduate Students who need assistance will need to fill out the Gowns for Grads Program form. This program is offered through the Georgia Tech Parents Fund and Barnes and Noble Bookstore to a select group of undergraduate students.
Graduate Students need to fill out the Commencement Regalia Assistance Fund Request Form. The Office of Graduate Education, with support from the Office of the Provost, administers the Commencement Regalia Assistance Fund (CRAF).
Honor Cords Distribution
Honor cords will be distributed at the end of spring semester.
Honor cords are for undergraduate students only. Graduate students do not receive honor cords.
To collect your honor cord prior to the Commencement ceremony, come to the Tech Tower Lobby (first floor) between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. starting May 1st, 2023.
- May 1st - 5th, 2023 (Monday through Friday only).
- May 5th during the President's Graduation Celebration from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- May 6th at Bobby Dodd Stadium prior to Commencement ceremony.
- Limited quantities of honor cords will be available for pick up at the commencement ceremony. Please plan to pick up at the Registrar's Office or at Presidents Graduation Celebration.
Cord and Stole Policy
Student organizations or Institute-approved programs interested in requesting a cord or stole must submit an application to the Office of the Provost through the Office of the Registrar. Please see the Institute Commencement Regalia policy if you are interested.
Other Honors Accessories
Graduates are permitted to wear additional items if given by officially sanctioned Georgia Tech honor societies or student organizations. You are responsible for obtaining from the student organization any honors accessories to which you are entitled.