Ph.D. Advisor Guidelines
Ph.D. advisors are invited to join their graduates at Commencement!
- To attend as Ph.D. advisor, no RSVP is necessary.
- Academic regalia is required to attend as a Ph.D. advisor.
- Gates open at 8 a.m. and the ceremony begins at 9 a.m. Please arrive by 8:30 a.m.
- Entrance for Ph.D. advisors is through Gate 7 at the Callaway Plaza of Bobby Dodd Stadium.
- Fall 2021 Commencement will not feature a formal processional, so advisors will be directed to sit on the field with their student upon entry into the stadium.
- We recommend exchanging cell phone numbers with your student so that finding them is easy on Commencement day!
For venue information, including parking and stadium information, visit our Venue and Ceremony Information page.
How to Volunteer
How to volunteer
Please let us know if you would like to volunteer. An official form will be coming out soon.
Ph.D. advisors who plan to attend the Ph.D. Commencement ceremony for hooding will need academic regalia. If you do not own your own, you can rent regalia by completing the Regalia Rental Form.
What events can I volunteer for?
We are always looking for volunteers to assist with our all three of our Commencement ceremonies.
What does a volunteer do?
We have multiple roles that faculty and staff can request to fill.
- Student seating assistants.
- Ph.D. hood or honor cord distribution.
- Guest services volunteers.
Can I still watch the ceremonies if I do not volunteer?
The Institute will also host the President's Graduation Celebration for all graduates and their families. Faculty are encouraged to join the campus community at this celebratory event.
Friday, December 17, 2021
Gates will open at 8 a.m.
Advisors are invited to attend to hood their student during this intimate event. An RSVP is not required to attend.
President's Graduation Celebration
Thursday, December 16, 2021
11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Create one last Tech memory prior to Commencement! Faculty and staff are encouraged to attend to support their students.
Friday, December 17, 2021
Gates will open at noon.
Faculty and staff are invited to celebrate our master's students.
Saturday, December 18, 2021
10 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Gates will open at 9 a.m.
Faculty and staff are invited to celebrate our bachelor's students.
All faculty and staff volunteers will receive a reserved parking pass two weeks prior to the event.
Parking is extremely limited and is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Faculty and staff assisting at the graduate ceremony are encouraged to walk to the ceremony.
Faculty and staff volunteers will receive a memo via email two weeks prior to the event with Commencement day directions and a parking pass.
Please speak with the dean's office of your college if you have any questions prior to memo distribution. If you have not received your memo, email the Commencement Office.